If you read my earlier post about decisions it may have sounded "ranty" and yes, that is a word... well, at least in my dictionary!!
Well to the decision. As many of you know I am in the social work/ social services field. I LOVE it! The last year or so, I have HATED my major, the classes that I have been taking and basically the direction of the education field. Towards the end of the 07/08 school year and the kiddos that I was working with as their case manager and on the one on one basis, I started thinking, that I didn't like working in the school district. I thought of changing my major at the end of my school year last year, and figured, i should stay with education and then move forward with a masters of some sort. I felt that there was NEVER going to be an end to this education thing they call "higher education." This past year, I STILL hated my classes especially my children's lit class and multicultural class, but have LOVED all ofthe psych classes the I have taken through the years and have loved my job. I LOVE being in the chemical dependency field. I love how the brain works and how it is affected by substances and what happens.. I love this field. While on vacation I semi thought about it and thought, no I should stick to what I am doing,.. then I came home to Juneau. thought about it more, talked to MANY people that I work with who are both licensed social workers as well as licensed counselors. I looked at both sides of the coin. Thought and thought and worried and even dreamed about it! One of the parts that I was going to miss was the teaching aspect of things. I LOVE to teach. I miss being with my little ones and teaching them. When I was a toodler/preschool teacher what I liked was teaching them about life. Letters and numbers came also, but dealing with problems that came in life were more important. so what does all of this mean? I am changing my major!!! My undergrad will be social sciences with an emphasis on psych, sociology, and political science and a masters in... drum roll please,... SOCIAL WORK! I want to be a clinician where I teach kids socail skills, how to deal with the problems that come up in life. Basically what I do now, but with a degree and licensure. It will be a long road but this is something that I WANT! I can feel it in my bones. This is a perfect fit for me. I hope 7 more years of school! I know it sounds like a lot! But fortunatley I see the light at the end of the tunnel and have a wonderful supportive family. That light may be small, but I can see it and I don't feel like I am lost in a forest and have NO idea where I am going. I LOVE my job and what I do. so, I guess wish me luck and keep your fingers crossed that you will see graduation announcements in 7 years!
1 comment:
Congrats on the decision, Granny. I know you can do it, and do it great!
Post a Comment