I MAY have made a decision in the quest of the rest of my life,.. I still need to take it to the Lord, and see what He has to say...and I still need to have a chat with the school adviser....Soon, I think I shall know soon...
On that aspect,.. I was preparing my YW lesson today and am SO thankful for the girls that I have a chance to teach on a weekly basis! They are such a spiritual group. I remember what it was like to be 12/13 yrs old,.. some of the worst times of my life. Lots of anger and confusion. I remember that my mind was all crazed and confused. I hear there are studies out there that say that teens during that time are literally crazy and have a few marbles loose during those times... My poor girls,.. they are great girls and will make great decisions in their lives.. which brings me to something that I keep thinking of and that I feel is SO true. As I work with the kids at work and at church, go to my book club, talk to friends, get frustrated with people, etc. The phrase that Joseph Smith said of " ...I teach them correct principles and let them govern themselves.." has come to mean so much more to me. I LOVE this quote! I was talking to a friend of mine this afternoon and we were talking how true this quote is. That Heavenly Father has done the same things for us. We have been taught these correct principles in the pre-existence and we are here on earth governing ourselves. Oh, how we can learn to parent from our Father in Heaven and how he treats us. We make good decisions or bad decisions and we have the consequences that come from that. Good consequences or bad... I keep thinking of this quote because as many of you know I work in the social work field with kids who have substance abuse/dependence issues. Some of them have been taught correct principles from their families while growing up, some of them haven't. But the kids are where they are because they have MADE DECISIONS and are paying the consequences for those actions. As I have been learning more of the drug issue in Juneau as well as around the states and world, I keep thinking that we need to and it is our RESPONSIBILITY to teach our children correct principles. The proclamation to the Family, that my church has put out says.. Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. “Children are an heritage of the Lord” (Psalm 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations. It is a huge responsibilty and we will be held accountable..."In my book club we were discussing different types of books and harry Potter came up. As the members of my group are of all religions and thoughts, it was said that they have chosen not to have Harry Potter in their homes, which is fine, although good teaching times are being lost..."I teach them correct principles and let them govern themselves.." What an eternal principle that is!
No comments:
Post a Comment