Thursday, April 21, 2011
Vitamin D
Have you heard of this AMAZING product called Vitamin D? Yes, it's the pills you get in a bottle in the vitamin aisle. Being from California, and my people coming from "where the trade winds blow (Hawaii), and another island in the Mediterranean (Sicily), My body is USED to sun and LOVES the sun. Some of my favorite days are sitting by the ocean feeling the warmth from the sun on my face, arms, and hair... Ahh, it's like my soul sighs with delight. Living in Southeast Alaska, I don't get the opportunity sometimes, to see the sun for months at a time. . I have learned to deal with it. I have a SAD ( seasonal affective disorder) light in the winter and when the sun comes out, no matter how cold, I sit in it, or go for a walk or sit in my car and feel the rays through the window (sad I know!). The past few years, I have been experiencing low energy and insomnia, etc. A few months ago at one of our "malls" they have a bi-yearly health fair and they take blood tests, etc and one thing that they test for is vit. D. I trudged in there and after chatting with quite a few people I knew, hearing that yes, I still have scar tissue in my arm and trying a few times to get blood out of my hand, my blood was finally taken, sent in and analyzed for vit. D deficiency. I got the tests back and yep, i have a vit D deficiency, like all the rest of us here in Alaska. It wasn't too low thank goodness, but it was deficient. I have been taking 400-600 IU's of D a day and WOO! I can tell a HUGE difference! I can also tell a difference if I don't take my D or if I miss a few days. I get that " I need to take a nap" feeling at 10am instead of 2pm! What's your Vitamin D? Check it and see what it is!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Maybe that's why I've been so tired lately...or maybe it's because I've been trying to grow another human...or maybe it's both! Miss You!
you mean 4000 to 6000 IU's right? I take 6000 a day in order to feel human.
Post a Comment