Saturday, October 3, 2009

week one...

Week one of the RADACT training was this past wee. I arrived in Anchorage on Sunday Sept. 27th. After a night of NO sleep and packing and morning of travel, the hotel had a room and I was able to check in. YAY! On the way from the airport to the hotel, I noticed the leaves were changing colors and a MOOSE was running along side the street! It was pretty cool. I took a nap once I got into the room, and then went to church. I experiened some great lesson's and wile I was there I saw my friends Sarah and Loren's family. They were nice enough to take me back to the hotel! My romate came a little later and it is a girl from Anchorage that I know. She and I have been able to get to know each other better and do things together. SheandI are in the same group of students so that is nice. While here I have met some great people. We have a great crew that are learning to counsel. We all like to laughand are enjoying each others company. Everyone is SO nice. A lot of the people that are in the program have been substance users at one point in their life. It has been interesting to hear what everyone says and their stories. Another reassurance to me that I am in the right field. Classes went okay for themost part. There is an instructor that rubs me the wrong way and irritates me. I understand that she is trying to make me a better cousnelor, but I am NOT her client. I am her STUDENT... I have her again a few times duringthe next two weeks. I will be doing lots of cleansing breathes!!! :o)As you know, I get to know many people. Here at the hotel, I know many of the staff and our caterer who cooks us dinner and lunch. Its fun. The big group has gotten split into two sections. One for techs and others for counselor I. I am in the counselor I class. We take a van ride from one hotel to another. Those poor, poor van drivers have to deal with ALL of us! We laugh and tease watch other and our van drivers! All inall we are SO thankful for our van drivers! So far its been a pretty good week. Assessments are a little hard, especially when trying to find the diagnosis for the case studies, but all in al theclasses are good! Now that it is saturday.. on to SHOPPING!!! Target here I come!

2 comments:

Andy and Melissa said...

Yay... I am glad it is going well. And a moose - holy cow. Andy was looking for housing in jeanau in case he gets the job, and he said so far it seems really xpensive. Is it? Love ya!!

heather said...

blonde-

the moose was cool. though we don't have any in juneau. in teh summer we get humpback whales and orcas and other wildlife. Its way cool! It IS expensive living in Juneau. Where is Andy looking for houses? are y'all looking to buy or rent? that is WAY exciting that you may be up here!!!!If you do, you gotta move to the "valley" to be in the ward I go to. THAT would be awesome! love ya too. call me if you or Andy have any questions... Let me know what you are looking for and maybe I can help as well. ciao.